Many people are under the impression that we suffer from…
With rising concerns related to the spread of viral diseases, the need for cleaning and disinfecting has a new meaning altogether. Cleaning and disinfecting are two of the initial steps to ensure good health for your family members. Most people confuse cleaning with disinfecting. Cleaning refers to physical removal of dust and dirt. Sometimes, cleaning tools might contaminate other household items, helping germs to move from one surface to another. On the other hand, disinfecting kills a high percentage of germs on any surface providing a long term protection. It helps to stop the spread of infectious diseases, lowering the number of germs to a safe level.
The role of disinfecting is versatile in keeping your family healthy and immune against illness causing microorganisms.
We do not fall sick until germs come in direct contact with our body. By identifying the areas with potential of spreading infectious diseases, we can take initiatives to minimize the chances of the same. The most vulnerable areas that influence disease transmission are high touch surfaces, floors, and window panes along with furniture, toys, TV remote, mobile phone and other household items around you. Simultaneously, farthest corners of your home, your kitchen and bathroom must always be kept clean to restrict the spread of germs.
Disinfecting floors, surfaces, furniture and corners of your home
Knowing the viruses can survive up to several days on floors, surfaces, clothes and other items surrounding your house, the need to disinfect household items has increased these days. Following tips will let your children wander freely across the house and help you to keep your calm.
- Alcohol based solutions with at least 70% alcohol should be used to clean various items of your home that are prone to contamination. Bleach solutions are effective for disinfection as well.
- But, bleach products are not recommended for wooden surfaces, so the furniture is to be cleaned with disinfectant sprays and wet cotton clothes.
- Disinfectant cleaners (bleach or an alcohol solution) are recommended to use while mopping the floor.
- The mop and buckets must be disinfected after cleaning to avoid cross contamination.
- Washing hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water is appropriate to ensure complete protection from germs.
Disinfecting your bathroom
Generally, bathroom floors, tiles, toilet seats and handle hold moisture and that is an ideal situation of fungi, viruses and bacteria development. Cleaning might remove the germs from the surface yet fails to kill them. For better results, an effective disinfectant solution must be used on surfaces and tiles after cleaning. Before washing, it is suggested to
let it stay for 15 minutes. It does not only remove stains, while eliminating germs it leaves a soothing fragrance behind. Moreover, some quick tips are as follows to ensure a healthy lifestyle all through the year.
- A disinfectant that contains bleach must be used to scrub showers, bathtubs and countertops at least twice a week. Otherwise, germs build up on the tiles and high touch surfaces and influence disease transmission.
- It is advised to disinfect the showerheads, if it has not been used for a while or you might do it as necessary.
- Areas that are frequently touched must be wiped with disinfectant sprays regularly.
- For a clean and hygienic bathroom, these areas need thorough disinfection in every alternative day.
Disinfecting your kitchen
Your kitchen is a crucial area as far as disinfection is concerned. Multiple responsibilities are associated when it comes to safe food handling and keep your kitchen and appliances germ free. To avoid cross contamination, these quick tips might be amazingly helpful.
- Again, frequently touched areas should be taken care of with daily disinfection.
- A dustbin must have a lid and the garbage bag must be removed every morning.
- It is advised to disinfect tables and chairs before and after having a meal.
- If possible, it is wise not to let your pets roam around inside your kitchen.
- The user manual must be followed before disinfecting the freezer. A freezer full of food and beverages is not ideal to clean. It must be vacant before using any of the disinfecting solutions inside it.
- Disinfecting kitchen appliances like mixer grinder or microwave cookware is important to avoid germs build up from remaining food debris.
Running a household might seem easy, but we all know how much effort it takes to ensure well- being for the family. Taking care of every member revolves around so many responsibilities, yet these have to be done perfectly; every time, every day. A hygienic environment helps your children to grow as healthy and strong keeping them away from viral infections. These good practices will surely bring happiness and ensure a hygienic lifestyle for the entire family.